February 14, 2012 17:49
| Health and Beauty
The Virgin London Marathon is two months away and many of you are well into your training. Whether you're running a marathon or half marathon this year, it's essential to prepare properly. So, before you end up like many other marathon runners that come through our doors in Notting Hill, try following our ten steps to help prepare you for a successful pain free marathon.
1. Before you start, invest in two pairs of good trainers, preferably two, then you can alternate between them and not wear them out before race day. Most running shops offer great advice, and to further improve your running style, you can have a running assessment at one of our physiotherapy practices
2. Do allow yourself enough time to train (at least 4-6 months).
3. Vary your running training between farlek (jog, sprint, walk) sprint and a longer runs. 3 runs a week should suffice.
4. Rest days are imperative
5. To keep your training on track book yourself onto a 10km and half marathon
6. Join a club or rope in a friend to help you keep to your training schedule
7. Make sure you run outside on tarmac and grass and not just a treadmill. This will put you in good stead as the marathon will be all road.
8. Stretching is important. Some people find it beneficial after running and some before and after – it’s personal preference.
9. Don’t run with an injury. Be sensible, if you have an injury get it checked out.
10. Lastly, follow a running programme and stick to it. You’ll find them in running magazines and online.
Most importantly have fun training and completing a marathon. Good luck!
Central Health Physiotherapy, The Harbour Club, 1 Alfred Road, W2 5EU / 020 7266 9300